01-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #138
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
I agree, there will be some overlap, but also a LOT of separate qualities that will affect sales.
Anyone who can easily afford a $60-70k M3 will clearly go for it instead of the M1
Anyone who prefers high revving NA engine will go for the M3
Anyone who prefers a V8 will go for the M3
Anyone who likes the looks of the e92 better than the 1 series, will be more swayed to get an M3.
There will be plenty who will think the 1 series is a "girls" car, even in M guise.
Those who want just a bit more room than the 1 series offers will prefer the M3.

Now, on the otherhand, those with $50-55k budget limits will clearly get an M1
Those who like FI better than high revving NA will go for M1
Those who like the idea of a smaller, lighter car for the nimble FEEL (even though it may not actually handle better, and maybe worse) will get an M1
Those who want to ECU tune to get bigger power gains for cheap will prefer the M1
Those who don't care that for most, the e92 is better looking than the e82, may get the M1
Those who want to be "one of the first" to have a new car, will jump in and get the M1.

So clearly there will be some overlap, but also plenty of separation.
The interesting part is going to be for 2013(?) when the M3 goes to a turbocharged 6 cylinder that will make things interesting. But with it will come an all new F30 chassis, so no matter how close the M1 will get to the current M3 in performance, in 2-3 years, the M3 will take it to the next level again anyway.
I have said for a year now, well before BMW even released the official info that the M3 was going to be a FI 6 next, the upcoming M3 will probably be a 3.3 liter TT V6 (essentially the current 4.4 liter V8 with 2 cylinders chopped off).
It will probably have 410-420 hp if they keep it at 3.3 liters, but if bored or stroked out a bit to say 3.4 liters, power could raise to 430 hp.
I don't agree with any of your reasons, but respect them for your reasons. I can easily afford an M3 yet drive a 135i. I traded in my e90 for it, and did not do so because of pricing. Calling the M1 (or 1 series in general) a girls cars is inflammatory, and makes me wonder about the intent. I've heard that regarding the cabrio (as cabrios often are thought of in that manner), but not the coupe.

The F20 M1 will be announced around the same timeframe as the F30 M3. That ought to be an interesting comparo! Both with turbos (if your speculation has any weight) makes the gap all that much smaller. It becomes "who wants the larger and heavier M car versus the smaller and highly likely more nimble. Seems very similar to my reasons for getting the 135i versus the 335i.
Appreciate 0