View Single Post
      01-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #139
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
If that were true I'd be driving one right now, and I'm willing to bet it's true of a lot of other 135i owners on this forum. The M3 has just gotten too large and heavy for a lot of people. 3700lbs + is just too much for a car with serious sporting intentions IMO. No matter how good it is (and it is good) it's just not the same as a small, fast, light vehicle.

On top of that, the M3's styling has really gone too far IMO. They used to be subtle, and classy looking, and now they scream "look at me! I'm an M3!" with the large vents, and hood buldge and garish looking bumpers.
well, I could of also afforded an M3, but had 2 335i's instead.
Then when it came time to replace my 335i a few months ago, i considered an M3 again.
My point of anyone able to afford the two would go for the M1 was just that one point. Clearly there are other factors (style, engine, size, etc.)
But again, the point was, IF someone who can afford and M3 won't choose the M1 if all there other aspects are satisfied by the M3 as much or more as they are with the M1.

Yeah, I agree, 3700 lbs is getting heavy for sure.
But the M3 is a light weight in comparison to most other smaller to midsize V8 powered cars.

I don't think the M3's styling is garish at all.
Actually I think it's as subtle as it's ever been.
I remember when the first M3 came out in the 80's.
It had a larger rear wing that stuck up several inches off the trunk deck. Kind of like 1/2 way between a lip spoiler and an EVO type spoiler that raises a foot off the trunk lid.
The original also had side spoilers and flares, etc.
It was kind of "ricey"
With the e46 it was toned down a great deal, where the differences were subtle and tasteful.
That was extended to the e9x version as well.

Keep in mind, you don't want to pull off an original MazdaSpeed 3 where it was hard to tell the difference between the Speed 3 and regular 3s as the car was driving by.
You are paying $15k+ more for the car, you want it distinguishable from the rest of the line.
I think the e92 M3 looks bad@ss personally.
And the rendering of the M1 looks to fall in line with that and would greatly help the "scared cat eyes" front and overall odd proportions of the regular 1 series.
Appreciate 0