Thread: Alpine Hifi Kit
View Single Post
      03-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #60
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Finished the kit install, and very happy with the results! My review is very similar to most others you read. Great sound quality for the price (just over $500 AUD). Coding made a huge difference to the sound quality and was quite straightforward to do with CIC, just one setting change to make the audio HIFI and all the EQ was back to normal. Having the tweeters makes a huge difference!

For those thinking about self installs, id recommend going that way for the price. BabyBMW has great pics of an install (although its the older kit), the newer plug and play kit is even easier as there is no wire cutting etc. Just make sure you have a set of plastic trim removal tools, as screwdrivers etc will do damage to your trim. Torx screwdriver set also required. The labelling on the diplexers that go into the door panels are poorly labelled, but if you follow the pdf instuctions and not the labels it will work out.

Hardest bit from my perspective was the window controls in the doors. As stated above the front clip seems to be a poor design and bends no matter how you try and pry it out. The BSM video on door trim removal will save you alot of time too. There is quite a bit of trim to remove to run the cables (rear and doors), but if you take your time its easy enough.

Coding IMO is definitely required for pos 03/2009 cars with the plug and play kit (268 kit), but is as easy as coding anything else if you have the cable and software. I didnt have any problems with PDC volumes / gong volumes or bluetooth for the record. Volume of these dropped only very slightly and really made it more bearable anyway (bluetooth volume remained unchanged). I didnt change the volume settings on iDrive for either.

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather

Last edited by Superdaws; 03-23-2012 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 0