View Single Post
      02-23-2019, 08:55 PM   #368
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3/4, 1984 533i,1997 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I can't speak for FPA............but have you ever had your form looked at by a professional? Just curious as I train with one everyday. He can take any lift I do and isolate what part of it is holding me back just by watching.

Squats come easy to me. But as an example... My biggest crutch was bench. And it was from the bottom of the lift up for the first 6 inches or so.

So he had me in a rack with the pins set where I could hardly get under the bar....and a second set of pins about 6 inches above that. Then for weeks my bench was training that range of motion and trying to push through the rack.

It really helped break up what was my sticking point.
I wish had someone to watch my form (I actually had my PT check my form but that was just by watching videos of it) but over the years I have recorded my self enough times, and have watched enough YouTube strength coaches to kinda have an idea of how to perform it. But you are right about in order to progress you have to constantly make changes, tweak your form, and sometimes even change up your rep range to make strength gains. And if that doesn't work caloric surplus should add some weight on the bar.

My biggest issue is that I get caught in a rut, and never really train as a powerlifter to make serious strength gains. I like hybrid systems that have a focus on strength first but also have enough volume for hypertrophy.

My biggest dilemma nowadays is not having the motivation to go to the gym. I used to never miss a day and whether it was cold, or hot, snowing, or windy I was there 5 days a week. Now I constantly miss days either from being sick, life in general, or not having the motivation to go.

At 41 I think my days of lifting heavy are almost done. Well, I have been saying that for a few years now but for some reason I keep doing the heavy weights, and compound movements. But you are 45, and are still kicking a$$; so that gives me a bit of hope.

Last edited by harris69; 02-23-2019 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0