09-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Do yourself a favor and buy a pressure bleeder. You will have it for 10+ years and it makes life so much easier. You can bleed brakes yourself, don't need a second person and drastically decreases the possibility of getting air in the system. Buy one then read online the proper technique when using. They are very straight forward and proper technique makes good sense.

^^+1.

I have a ten year old Motive pressure bleeder and love it! To answer your question... I do not "think" you need to run the engine. I know some ABS systems you need to have the ignition key on while bleeding... so the ABS pump can circulate brake fluid thru the ABS block and traction control. I do not think you need to do this with BMW's. You do that mainly with VW's and Audi products. With VAG cars they also pulse or cycle the ABS valve body(block) when you reverse and use the brake pedal.

I would go ask a tech at your dealer... most will be happy to tell you. Or try PMing user" Drivehard - he works for a dealer and would be able to tell you too.
Appreciate 0