View Single Post
      05-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #29
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I did not seriously investigate the HK when I bought my 2009 vert. I have the HiFi or mid level system. It has the same number of speakers as the HK - or at least it did in 2009. My main reason to post is to comment that I tested the frequency response in my car. I made a CD of test tones at different frequencies and then used a sound pressure meter to see how loud the car speakers were. The test tones were all the same volume so any difference was the speakers.

What I found out surprised me some. The maligned subs had pretty good response below 100HZ. It was actually louder than the mid and high frequency response. Given the size, I am sure they run out of steam at modest sound pressures but that is the kind of level I listen at and they were not distorting. The other surprising thing is the frequency response above 10,000 HZ was very weak. Some people can hear all the way to 20,000 HZ. I don't listen above 90dB or so. I believe hearing loss starts as low as 85 HZ. The Hi Fi system will reach that sort of sound pressure level including at low frequencies.

I agree it is not the clearest system in the world, however. The sound is somewhat muddy. Better speakers would undoubtedly help.

Those of you who find the bass unacceptable either listen at levels that will damage your ears or like over-boasted bass. That's OK with me, it's your ears and your car. Until I can hear your car from mine, at least, it's fine with me. But when I hear your music, those sound levels are definitely going to lead to hearing problems for you.