View Single Post
      05-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
Ruffan
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Long overdue Update:

The Carbotech pads I used were good, but ultimately they produced WAY too much noise to be useful as a replacement for stock pads and they were still not close to the level of pad I'd wanted for the track.

EDIT #1 (2010): My most recent track pad is the Hawk DTC 70 (w/ DTC 60 rear). These are true racing pads and are a world apart from stock when hot on the track. I am currently using a second set of stock front rotors, matched to the Hawk pads, as my track setup. Having separate rotors allows me to just swap and go, as opposed to having to bed the pads each time I swap street/track. EDIT: This year I added TiSpeed titanium backing plates to my setup to further insulate the brake fluid from the massive amount of heat our brakes generate. I can happily report that i had no brake fluid boiling issues in the 2010 season. Still wouldn't mind upgrading to an aftermarket big brake kit, but for now my setup is working well.

EDIT #2 (2012): Just to keep this up to date, I should admit that I finally replaced my stock calipers with Stoptech units and Endless pads. This mod was in conjunction with the move to Hoosier slick tires for the track and i can't begin to explain the difference on track with this setup. Ultimately I could not get comfortable with the performace level of the stock brakes and needed to make the change. If anyone is on the fence about this move please feel free to reach out because in retrospect is was absolutely worth it. By the way, with the Stoptechs I don't have to remove the calipers to change the pads!

I've switched my brake fluid to the Stoptech 660 racing fluid with which i had no issues all season.

Last edited by Ruffan; 09-28-2012 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0