View Single Post
      08-03-2019, 06:37 PM   #20
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
If it also means that my privacy is protected from a warrantless search, then I'm a huge fan of Apple's use of the "secure enclave" chip and would put it on my must-have feature list!

Again, this prevents a warrantless download of the SSD contents. I applaud Apple for doing it, and wonder why the other notebook vendors aren't following suit? You know they are doing a good job when the feds are begging for legislation to install back-doors for "law enforcement" purposes.

I watched every second of the video, right down to the over-fluxed solder job repair they showed under the magnifier.

Coming from another marque where diagnostic information is only published in their dealership scan tools tethered to their corporate mothership's guided fault finding system, I have already seen the future. I'm actually quite shocked that BMW seems to turn a blind eye to rampant software piracy and publication of their technical/service data. In any case, most independent mechanics that I know can barely use an OBD-II scan tool to throw parts at codes, and the information provided by that legislated standard seems to be adequate for the past 22 years.

Back in the 1970's, the big whine was from gas station mechanics crying that electronic ignition was evil because they only knew breaker points. The 1980's were all gas station mechanics complaining about the complexity of fuel injection. Fast forward to 2019, and tell me where all of the gas station mechanics went to? Yup, extinct like the dinosaur, replaced with convenience stores and lotto terminals. (The gas stations themselves will be going next, and I can say that I haven't touched a fuel pump nozzle since last April when I added the i3 BEV to our motor pool.)

Looking at tech trends like smart watches, you can see everything being miniaturized down onto a single chip die. Unfortunately as the carburetor and points ignition mechanics found out, the technological improvements have made them obsolete...casualties of miniaturization and innovation.....
PCs have been able to secure data contents without resorting to a total lock down of being able to repair any part of the hardware of said PC using TPM. So your argument about better security with the T2 hold zero water.

If you're that paranoid about the man seizing your data, there are other methods out there to include TPM which won't prevent you from doing any repairs on your own computer.
Appreciate 0