View Single Post
      07-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #26
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep
Drives: X1

Maan, I know there's been time since this topic exists, but you saved me lots of time. That's the best description of battery replacement procedure on E series in the whole Internet.

I used this guide to replace battery on E84, and it helped me waaay.

Here are couple of cents to add for E84.

Tools and help you would need.

1. A 1/4" ratchet.
2. 10 mm and 13 mm heads (the 13 mm one is only needed to remove the but that holds the bolt for red battery control module (whatever it is, next to the positive terminal; all other nuts are 10 mm ones).
3. A 250+ mm extender for the ratchet (this one is needed to unscrew the bolt that holds the metal plate near the negative terminal and fixes the battery down to the car body).
4. If you're doing it for the first time, it would be great if there were someone who could assist you with a torch.

Comments

1. To remove the metalic clips of the red battery control module, you have to insert the flat screw driver down along the metallic clip and pull the screw driver aside from the battery side towards the walls of car body. The S-shaped metallic clip holds the power control module to the walls of the battery. (Gee, with my English it hardly could help anyone, but who knows)
Releasing the clips turned out to be the hardest part of the work.

2. When you will be screwing the bolt that pins the metallic plate to the body, make sure to put it down on the car trunk's floor before inserting the new battery. The 10 mm socket that I used to unscrew the plate's bolt wasn't magnetic. I couldn't position the plate properly failing to fit the bolt into the hole in the trunk's floor. The plate has three notches that should clip into the battery and a bolt that you should screw into the car's floor when there three notches are positioned properly.

3. If you are using an Exide AGM battery, it could be that the vent hole in the battery that is next to the positive terminal will be capped. Mine has a rubber cap inserted into the vent hole of the battery. Only the vent hole that is close to the negative terminal was open. Unlatch the cap with your nail to open the vent whole on the side of the positive terminal and then cap the hole next to the negative terminal.

All in all, this is a ridiculously awkward procedure, dear BMW. It's not a big deal when you do it for the second time, but you'd expect a much more easier way to replace such a part as the battery from a manufacturer that produces premium products. Imagine you're 1000 miles away from the BMW service shop, and your battery died. Why would you go through such a mess with gazillion of wires when it should be a pull out / push in procedure?

Thanks a lot to the members of this forum and Mark08EX, this is because of you I could manage with replacement much easier than I expected. Hopping BMW will publish this procedure somewhere on their papers.
Appreciate 0