View Single Post
      12-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #73
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbelly View Post
That is really weird. (Preface: I have Koni DA's) I have always run really high front rebound, and really low rear rebound. I set the rear first, and use braking. I dial in just enough rear rebound to keep the car from nose diving under braking, then I do the front. I start at full-ish rebound and work down till the rear end stays planted.

That said, I rarely if ever, adust shocks, unless it is raining, or I am using different tires, and even then, not always. You will be miles ahead if you find a good setting, and leave them there, so that you can gain experience and build confidence in what the car is doing.
I guess it would depend on the spring setup... I run a neutral 6k/16k setup. Most out-of-the-box spring rates are nowhere near that. Most setups run significantly stiffer (relatively) front springs like a 10k/12k setup.

Edit: as edited above as well, the rear shock is less effective than the front. Front shock is same motion ratio as the spring which is close enough to call 1:1. The rear spring and shock are separated. The spring mounts inboard of the shock which makes it much less effective (.36). The shock itself mounts outboard closer to the wheel and has a motion ratio of .7. so, if you run neutral wheel rate like I do it then it makes sense the rear shock would need a bit more rebound than the front strut needs to achieve the same damping.

Last edited by bbnks2; 12-13-2017 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0