View Single Post
      01-18-2015, 07:21 PM   #77
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
One of the best suspension write ups I have ever seen.....awesome details!!
Thanks Orb. Your input is remembered and missed on this forum.

Quote:
Question for the poster:
Did you account for the CG OEM spring perch deflection under load. I measured about 10 mm for the OEM spring perch. I suspect this came out a wash or close to it.
I did not measure this. It would have made my first-order calculations more accurate, and I wouldn't have guessed that it was quite this compliant.

Quote:
As for the rear spring compressing on a curved axis. I did a non linear analysis in Ansys and the spring rate does increase anywhere from 15-40%. This is dependent on spring wire diameter, spring length and stroke position so not a straight forward answer. I resolved the issue with the a sealed articulating spring perch placed between the helper spring and main spring. The soft helper spring works well at taking up translation by deforming as well. This made a very noticeable improvement and ride quality was a night a day difference especially over rough roads.
Interesting solution. I suspect that the orientation of the spring cut ends relative to the bending axis also affects the results. The spring motion does effectively give us a progressive spring, even if our spring is linear.
Appreciate 0