View Single Post
      01-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #83
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
fe1rx, as you know, Im really interested in finding the proper springs to gain maximum wheel/tire clearance when I buy my coilovers.

Pardon the newbie question but, how does it feal when you run out of spring travel on your shorther 7 inch front springs? I know you are experimenting with raising the strut out of the knucle, but would choosing slightly stiffer spring rates be another viable approach for me, to avoid modifications?

Somewhat unrelated to your thread but, what SS lines are you getting?
There is a significant thump from the front when the spring bottoms out. My early testing of the Ohlins strut led me to believe that the bump stop was in fact a pair of internal springs. This was inferred from the force vs. displacement I measured for the stop, because it is internal and not visible. Based on that assumption I figured I was just feeling a very hard bump stop. Disassembly of my front suspension this winter revealed the evidence that the coils had been contacting each other on my front springs. I re-tested the strut with a better test setup and found that the internal bump stop actually has the characteristics of a conventional microcellular urethane stop.

Incidentally, repeated over-compression of the front spring caused them to sag in free length by 6 mm, but it did not change the spring rate of the spring. My front suspension settled a corresponding amount over the summer as a result. In contrast my rear springs were not over-compressed, and they show no change in free length.

As for the brake hoses - very timely question. I installed the rear ones today and am not happy with them. I posted my comments on these to a separate thread.
Appreciate 0