View Single Post
      02-22-2019, 05:33 PM   #67
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by guydude View Post
I wish i had the black headliner..... i have every single possible option, but that wasnt available as an option when i ordered ....... seems like way to much work to change it...
Take it to an upholstery shop, I've taken PLENTY of headlines off big SUVs, trucks, Ford Expeditions (by far the worst). The 1er can't be that bad. All the pieces attached to the roof are screwed on (an advantage), not like some of the new cars using plastic fasteners which you have to turn, squeeze god knows what before you get the damn window visor down. Vehicles of the 1er era simply used screws. Unscrew visor, little locking end visor snaps into, upper console with lights, hand grab bars (easy), (they're all torx I'm fairly certain). Then snap off the plastic by the dashboard, on first columns where the tip of the curtain airbag resides. Make sure you either unhook negative or positive on that battery just in case you accidentally fiddle with the airbag. But for that to happen you'd really would need to be messing in the wrong places and disconnecting plugs you shouldn't. Indeed, no plugs need to be disconnected.

Then, on both your seat belt restraints, you'll have to take the top of the plastic piece of that the headliner rests on. Sometimes there will be a little square tab for you to take out, underneath it a bolt. Maybe be a little more bolts. You may have to take off the lower piece first to get to the top one. The only part of seat belt you unbolt is the part that is on the column and gives you adjustable seatbelt height. Pop the plastic off, you'll likely be presented with a 14mm or 15mm bolt.
LAST, remember the plastic columns up front? There's a more "triangular set in the back. Those may have a bolt each but are mostly kept in by clips. Once you're done, the headliner is loose. You may even get it through the back with seats folded down, but since it's a couple I would suggest front doors. Now. It will BEND a little. DO NOT WORRY. As long as you don't hear a crack you're good. Even if you do, it's repairable with fiberglass n glue.

Especially since you'd be installing a new, material - wouldn't worry about creases - as the ones on the headlines (if any even left over after the pro's had their way with it) would be visible.

OR go straight to them, and pay 3x the price for the labor
Appreciate 0