View Single Post
      08-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #52
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I don't think we are in complete disagrement but I also think your pressures are low for track use for many tire/cars/drivers. Here is an article recommending 38-45psi:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...-Pressure.aspx

I also think we all agree it varies by car, driver, and tire (and I agree the tires in the pictures above seem to be properly inflated). But increased pressure will deal with the exact issue that OP had. It decreases understeer, decreases driving on the shoulder of the tire and decreases temperature minimizing the potential for chunking. If you google something like "tire pressure for racing" you will find several articles, all recommending increased pressure for racing. The Tire Rack article recommends up to 50 psi for Hoosers. There was also a good article about using tire temperature as the way to judge correct tire pressure. I got the idea of using white compound on the thread to shoulder juncture out of the Roundel. It isn't the best method but is better than just blindly guessing or assuming normal inflation levels are correct.

The only real point I am trying to make is that the evidence of tire damage is consistent with running too low a pressure on the track. With higher pressures, I think the results would be different but I haven't tried it yet to know for sure. That is why I asked if anybody had damage at higher pressure. Even better would be for somebody to test different tire pressure to see what it takes to keep the tread (and not the shoulder) on the track when racing. I will probably run 40 or maybe 42 cold with these tires my next autocross. I won't get more than one or two tries to adjust pressure so it won't be a great test but I am confident I will have better results than if I ran 32psi. I'm running a square setup with stock suspension and may or may not run the fronts 2-4psi above the rears. If I was still staggered, I think I would definitely increase the fronts a little. That seems to be the recommendation from those with more experience than I have.