08-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #22
Ericsson.FFS
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 135i, E82, A/T

Update, job done

Hi again,

Well, it's done!

It went pretty smooth all in all, though not really as expected. Here's why... As I posted in a reply earlier on, someone had written in another thread that the charcoal canister-issues didn't affect the EU-spec'd cars, I guess he was right..! At least in some ways.

Here's what faced me after removing the rightside wheel well liner:

Name:  Wheelwell.jpg
Views: 7379
Size:  182.1 KB
Note the lack of dust filter assembly and the open-ended vent. pipe (also, in white plastic, instead of blue)

Further down and below, I also found that I have no electrical wiring going to the canister, and that the canister itself doesn't look at all like the one seen in your car on pictures above. I recon there may be at least 2 possible variants - perhaps the one you guys in US have is the "Active" one, with electric components inside, and the one we find here in Sweden, and perhaps other EU countries, could be described as a more passive type of charcoal canister..? Picture below:

Name:  Cannister-1.jpg
Views: 7444
Size:  106.6 KB

Prior to getting this swap done I did buy the Exhaust steam pipe with dust filter (1613784514) and the Gas filler vent pipe (1613784515), although I didn't end up using either one of them. The dust filter assembly pipe didn't at all line up with the canister, for perhaps obvious reasons (being the "wrong" canister ) and the new 1M gas filler vent pipe also didn't seem to wanna live in this car.

The Scavenge air line (on my car blue plastic instead of white) did in my case not need to be extended, but in fact shortened (and reshaped).

I order to make the three pipes connect to the canister mounted in its new position, I ended up reshaping them somewhat with a hot air gun and also shortening the pipes by this much:

Name:  CannisterPipes.jpg
Views: 7282
Size:  285.0 KB
Though, the white and thicker vent pipe needed to be slightly extended with a short piece of flexible tubing in order to make it reach the canister with a somewhat tight bend.

All in all, getting the different parts to play together was an exciting and mind-awarding job! :-)
Cutting corners, as I did do with this swap, I also ended up welding two new removable mounting brackets to hang the rear 1M muffler by, as opposed to replacing the rear bumper carrier. The battery cables turned out just fine, extended with the help of proper, heavy duty, crimp&solder extension sleeves.

For time being I did settle with an original 135i rear diffuser, which I modified to mate with the quad exhaust tips. Result below:
Name:  RearFitted.jpg
Views: 7428
Size:  249.3 KB
Kinda sucked that the left side cutouts needed to be moved to the right about 8 cm... But of course...

Thank you once more for the willingness to share your experiences with the rest of us! It helped a bunch along the way!!
Appreciate 0