08-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #10
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
This is a 135i we're talking about, not some high end exotic that only comes out if there's a full moon and no chance of precipitation forecast within a 200 mile radius for the next three days. Apparently, the automotive valuation authorities don't subscribe to this idea that a 135i should see only 5k a year, or else they'd be dinging the value on an '09 135i if it had over ~45k on it. But they're not. They're adding value to it, since it's low in their eyes at 110k. Sure, I could see your point on a 1M, since it's super US limited, in demand, and more of a true sports car, but not with a 135i.
The "automotive valuation authorities" and the market also often disagree, especially when it comes to so-called enthusiast cars. For example, KBB will usually subtract from the value when a car has a manual transmission, but many sports cars with manuals command a small premium over their auto counterparts. Also, with regards to mileage, as stated previously, anything over 100,000 definitely has a stigma associated with it. This is especially true for BMWs and other German cars which have the stereotype of poor reliability and high maintenance costs when out of warranty.