View Single Post
      01-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #51
M_Thrizzle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VO 1M; E46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
for the E46 for sure there are solutions... go your local mid to high end car stereo store.. I bought an E46 325i for my daughter and had a head unit installed at Car Toys. A decent bluetooth head unit is around $100-150 these days and will have Aux input, and USB. They were able to use modules to wire into the car's factory steering controls for volume up/down, track up and down, etc.. They added a microphone for handsfree speaker/SIRI usage and the added parts was around $120 IIRC. Out the door expense was well under $500. The sound quality of a Kenwood Excelon head unit through the factory speakers is 300 percent better and worth the switch from the factory head unit alone.. and all this is in a convertible, the stereo would sound far better with a roof.

It was also possible to add a reverse camera that put an image into the car's rear view mirror. That was not a feature I considered as it was a several hundred dollar additional expense.

Looks like the item from @Tornado1M goes even one step further. However.. Both My daughter's 2004 and my ex's 2003 E46M did not have the double DIN dash that the Dynavin requires. I believe that was on later 05-06 models and/or was part of a Nav package.
You can still get a double DIN in your E46 if you don't have nav. You have to relocate the HVAC controls to where the cubby hole is.

I've wired up several head units before in other cars, and a backup camera for my sister's Subaru. That was the biggest PITA to do!

I've got a bluetooth adapter in my E46 that connects through another Aux-in adapter through the trunk CD-changer and that suits me fine for now. Like you said, I don't really want to spend a few hundred bucks on a backup camera on the M3. I may eventually do it for the 1M though.
Appreciate 1