12-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Complete S85 swaps in the US are around $10k in parts. An S65 runs about $15k and a stroker/swap will be around $27k. I can imagine an OEM GTS motor would easily be $40k plus. The S85 is a complete bargain for what it is. the age and the fact that the m5/6 have an aluminum chassis so they tend to get written off easier than the M3's give us an abundance of motors and parts.

im dropping a standard S65 V8 into my 1er. Non stroker. The other attention is being focused on lightening the car. I absolutely think the cars will benefit on track and balance will be preserved as the S65 only weighs 15lbs more than the n54.
What are you doing to reduce the final drive ratio or reduce the speed in gears?

S85 is a bargain, I just don't think it's a good match for the 1 series.

The standard S65 should be good fun, though it's not worthwhile over a 1M IMHO as it would take away much of the in-gear punch that makes the car such a hooligan. I agree the stroker is pricey, but that just goes to show what's needed to make a significant advance. The standard S65 should be sharp and efficient, however the charm of the platform doesn't lie in its efficiency, IMHO.

Don't take this as a criticism of your project, it should be a complete blast if well executed and will have other charms. I'd stick some skinny rubber on it for maximum smiles