View Single Post
      08-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #92
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Looks like it velcros to the frame. I agree it is restrictive but I think the idea is that it lets you use "standard" 3" components and avoid any rubbing issues.
Yea I see its purpose now. Looks like it is used along with a bunch of other components. And its purpose is to crunch down along the frame rail to allow for more movement of ducting without contact.

With that said on the 1 series there are quite a few of us that have setups that have the hose enter the wheel well from the inside and therefore there is no need for this part at all. You simply route under the (chassis side) tension rod mount, and cut away a very small amount of the plastic underbody shield. Then its really just a matter of how you run the hose. If you want the most robust setup you actually do a longer run that snakes around a few components and then comes up and around towards the backing plate.

I run 2.5" hose that way, and I run my setup 24/7 and I have never made any contact with the hose. Lock to lock is no problem on the street with my street setup. I also never had any contact at when on track with my wider wheel/tire setup but I would have to verify if you truly wanted lock-to-lock performance with large R-comps.

So in a nut shell while it may serve some purpose on a E9x, its a very expensive solution to a problem that doesn't really exist for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
3" does flow better than 2.5," but no one here is endurance racing lol... diminishing returns imo

2.5" is nice because it fits well. I can't imagine trying to squeeze 3" piping through a 1-series. 2.5" seems perfect.
Agreed. 2.5" is the perfect size, and FWIW its just as easy for me to source locally as 3".

Last edited by WhatsADSM; 08-24-2017 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 2
AndyW650.00