View Single Post
      07-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #113
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngPhys09 View Post
That's always going to be the problem with the 1-series. The up-level owners will regard it as entry level and the BMW-image-crazed will try to justify it as a legitimate BMW to make themselves feel good.

The way I see it, it IS a BMW and it's a GREAT car. Some have bought it because they're brand-loyal and it's all they can afford while others have bought it and optioned it nicely because it's a package they're truly enthused about.

From BMWs standpoint, it absolutely was released as a car that CAN be had for less cost than other models as an attempt to attract a new market share. Based on 1addicts population, it worked! On that basis, it functionally is an entry level car--but, bear in mind that it represents entry into a very HIGH level of car. "Entry level," in this case, has no negative connotation to me.

This situation occurs with any car manufacturer. You can buy a Cobalt for $12K or you can pile the options onto an SS model for $32K (more expensive than a base model Camaro or well-equipped Malibu). BMW has catered to both the less wealthy AND the performance enthusiast with the same chassis.
I understand your points, but I'll also say that it's the 128i that fills the auto press's insistence on "entry level BMW", the 135i is simply too expensive. However, the "entry" hype was made more so by auto press, not by BMW. BMW, wrongly or rightly, marketed the 1 series as a throw back to the 2002 model days, which is a call out to those BMW ENTHUSIASTS, who value the performance of a smaller car.
It didn't see anywhere that BMW marketed the 1 series as a way to get into the brand at a lower cost.

The 1 series is not new. It is to North America. And, it competes in the smaller car series in the Euro market, where it is sold de-contented.
This 1 in the NA is more like a V6 Mustang to save money, or a V8 for the performance.

Also, I could care less what 7 series owners think of the 1, just like I couldn't care less what 5 series owners thought of my E46 325i.
Other than size and more money, what does a 5 or 7 get you really?
I agree, it's the "image merchants" that have the problem, and I say, fine, it's not my thing. I prefer to drive.
Appreciate 0