View Single Post
      03-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #14
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

I've posted elsewhere on this forum about my thought process (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685467) but the basic rationale for my decision follows the storyline of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

My current car is a 2011 335i Coupe. In retrospect, I find it to be just a bit too big, soft and heavy for my tastes. Before that, I had a 2007 Z4 Coupe that I really liked for the most part, but it became a bit impractical over time and it was hard as nails (that car was not tuned for run-flats, and it showed).

Basically, I was looking for the "in between" car and that's good description for the a 128i Coupe. I don't need gobs of power -- in fact, I'd rather have a bit less power if it means I can rev the engine and row the gears more. And as good as the N55 engine is, I still haven't met a turbocharged engine that I prefer to a naturally aspirated inline 6. The N52 may not set the world on fire anymore, but it's simply a great engine and it reminds me of the BMWs I grew up with and admired.

To answer some of the questions in the thread:

Why Premium/Sunroof? I would have dropped this package but for one simple need: lumbar support. It completely cheeses me that BMW doesn't offer manual lumbar support standard or even as part of the sports seats option, but it is what it is. I've driven a couple BMWs without lumbar support (loaners and test drives) and my back starts to hurt within minutes. I'm sure there are all matter of cheap fixes, but I don't want to have an upholsterer open the seats or add some tacky pillow, so the Premium Package was added. The power memory seats are also nice for my wife as she sometimes drives my car and vice versa.

Why E82 instead of F22? I'm sure the F22 will be a fine car, but I'm fairly sure it won't be the right car for me if it follows in the footsteps of the F30. I'm borderline disgusted with my wife's F30 -- it simply doesn't feel like a BMW to me. The engine, while powerful and efficient, has zero enjoyment or soul. The base suspension is very poorly tuned. The steering is lifeless. And the entire car is overrun with eco-garbage. Maybe it's the future, but I don't have to like it today! In short, I don't believe the F22 will share some of the direct, old school features that I most appreciate about the E82 (especially the NA engine and hydraulic steering).

Why the Performance Suspension and 225s all around? This car is primarily going to be a daily driver, so I want it to achieve a solid balance between sportiness and relative comfort. I'm just looking to take some of the body movement and slop out of the regular sports suspension. From everything I've read from other owners the Performance Suspension is a good fit for that description. It may be "pretty terrible" to you (though that seems like hyperbole) but I think it will fit my needs nicely and the warranty coverage is a nice plus. As for the wheels and tires, lightweight 18x8s and Michelin PSS tires all around represent a good middle ground and I believe they will offer sufficient grip for my config. My 335i could use a bit more front end grip, but it has a lot more weight and runflats, so I think the square config on a 128i will be an improvement.

If I've ruffled anyone's feathers with my opinions, please note that they are only *my* opinions and I only apply them to myself. I fully understand why people prefer the 135i and I'm sure there are people who love their F30s -- If I wanted a 135i or a new 335i, I'd get one, but I really admire the relative old school simplicity of the E82 and I want to get one before they're no longer available. Basically, I know my tastes and I'm finally building a car that matches them closely without going overboard.
Appreciate 0