View Single Post
      08-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
davemohan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have an 08 with the BMW SSK, but I'm not sure how you are measuring this.

At what point on the shift lever are you measuring the throw? In the first set of pictures they appear to be directly above and it looks like you can see about 80mm of travel at the cross line of the shift pattern on the top of the knob. Are you eye-balling it from that point? If so, not only is it tough to be accurate, but the height of the shift knob comes into play. (The BMW SSK comes with a shorter shift knob as well, so the throws will measure shorter at the top than if the SSK is used with the stock knob.)

The only alternative I can think of is to measure at the level of the tape stretched across the boot, but then what do you use as a reference point on the lever? The seams on the boot move relative to the lever and cover it at that height, so you would have to remove the leather boot and place a reference mark on the shift lever at the chosen height.

The "shortening" claims I've seen for SSKs range from 8% to about 25%, and we are talking numbers of less than 3" (much less as you move down from the top of the lever), so it is going to take some pretty exact measurements.

I would guess that the above comparison is pretty good as it looks like both have the same knob (looks can be deceiving, though) and measured at the same point. But to take it any further you need to standardize the measurement and take the "knob height" out of it.
Appreciate 0