View Single Post
      09-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #11
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

M3 microfilter cowl

As I do all the maintenance on my car, I found the stock microfilter to be a bit of a pain to work around. Basically anything you want to do to the car this has to come off. Saw a few people had done the M3 cowl and decided to source all the parts for it.

Ulimtately cost way too much money and work but its at least a pretty unique mod with only a handful of people that have it on a 1 series.

I even sourced the cable ducts and RHD specific parts from Schmiedmann and made up a custom 8AN braided hose to run the brake booster line through the cable duct.

Upon receiving the top and bottom sections of the cowl and test fitting it to my car, I realized that it doesn't fit a 1 series

The washer nozzles hit the top of the cowl. The 1 series ActiveE (electric E82 1 series) actually has the M3 cowl fitted so it can clear the electric motor, but that has a massive bulge in the bonnet so its not a problem. People with aftermarket carbon fibre bonnets also noted nozzle clearance was not an issue.

I ended up taking the hard route and decided to cut into the cowls, patch them up, fill with body filler and repaint them:

Cuts

Mocking up on the car with some electrical tape to check clearances

Cut up some plastic enclosure boxes into the right shape and JB welded them on:

Smoothed with body filler

Primed for paint:

Painted

Test fitted

Braided 8AN line to relocate brake booster hard pipe. This would otherwise run across the engine and stick out like a sore thumb. I actually sourced a LHD spare brake booster pipe as mine was broken. The LHD version has a right angle connector that plugs into the brake check valve pipe. This is cruical to get good routing with the really heavy gauge hose.