05-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #405
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
You sound like you're much more in the know about this stuff than I, but why would the DME think/know it's feeding anything other than the original 600w fan? Is there some kind of coding on the connector? If it's just the connector change then couldn't you just take the connector off the 600w fan and swap it with the 850w units connector so that the DME knows no different? I'm an electrician & an electrical engineer, but certainly no auto electrician or BMW electrics expert so please tell me where my logic may be flawed.
As I see it, engine gets hot, notifies the control unit of the degree of hotness who then feeds a (0-5V / 0-12V?) signal to the (600 or 850w) fan which then spins/spins faster as suggested by the DME until the temp sensor tells the system that things have cooled down. The worst I can see happening here without recoding is that with the 850w fan, things may cool down a little more rapidly than the DME wanted.
I am far from an expert but I am interested in upgrading my fan too, so just trying figure it out.

I know it seems straight forward but after having fiddled with certain modules in my previous bmw, I can tell you that its never easy. Basically, if you installed the new fan without the new wiring I dare say it will throw codes as the behavior of the unit will be different from stock.
Appreciate 0