06-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooto82 View Post
It the oil radiator bigger in the Dinan kit?
yes,
Specifications Total Volume Stock: 9.5 oz. / Total Volume Dinan: 19 oz.
Stock Surface Area: 45 sq./in. / Dinan Surface Area: 67.5 sq./in.
Stock Cooling Tubes: 10 / Dinan Cooling Tubes: 23
Stock Tube Length: 90 in. / Dinan Tube Length: 207 in.
Stock Tube Area: 112.5 sq./in. / Dinan Tube Area: 414 sq./in.
if so, did you add more oil?
if you refereeing to engine oil capacity, I didn't add more , went for stock capacity around 6.5 liters

What oil temps are you seeing on the gauge?
with the Dinan oil cooler I barely went above 120C/250F

What grade of oil are you using?
5W-30
I wonder what your oil pressure is at as you are moving more volume around. Unfortunately we don't have dipsticks anymore to check levels nor an oil pressure gauge but:
1. I would contact Dinan immediately and get clarification on how much, if any more oil should be added for the larger volume.
2. More tubes and volume could lead to a pressure drop . I believe our cars have oil sprayers under the pistons for example. I am sure Dinan thought about this but if you were tracking the car, I would still run 5w-40. 5W-30 is fine all around but when it breaks down, it becomes less than 5w-30. Overall temperature as cooled by the cooler is not the whole story. You also have hot spots in the engine that 5w-30 has to contend with. Your car is approved for LL-01 5W-40. It is right there in the owners manual. Try some Shell/Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Motul LL-01 5W-40, Castrol Syntec LL-01 %W-40 or some other BMW certified LL-01 5w-40.

This would be a simple thing to try out in the meantime, but I would definitely get in contact with Dinan and talk about oil pressure at the track with 5W-30.

3. I wonder if an OBD tool will report oil pressure while at temperature? If so, I would record oil pressure in your car and compare it to someone with a stock oil cooler to see what it is?
let us know how it goes so we can all learn from this.

Thank you
Appreciate 1