Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 330i
But if you do drive an automatic, I don't want to hear about how your BMW handles better or peforms better than x car, because it probably doesn't.
An automatic BMW is now no more better in handling than the TL, A4, G35, C32 AMG?

Let me ponder this a little bit. Hmm, the transmission is part of the powertrain and has BARELY anything to do with suspension.

Let me further dwell on this. An auto 330i weighs 30 kg more than the manual...80 lbs heavier. That's an extra elementary kid sitting in the passenger seat. The auto has 0.5% extra weight biased to the front from the rear compared to the manual..but still sits at 51.1/48.9. Near the 'perfect 50/50 ratio.

So if you want to go "faster" and still fall in that bandwagon of delusional folks who feel that they always need that extra 0.3 seconds of faster speed off of the line, go ahead and get the manual.

And to whoever bashes on automatic BMWs - come on already, get over it. They heavily outsell manuals in the U.S. and besides being the more popular ones around, there's no need to justify yourselves saving $1,200 having to throw around a shifter in the middle of traffic, whether it's subconcious or not.

If manuals were that much better than autos, the decision would have easily been made for everybody. BMW wouldn't make auto trannies for their cars. But in reality, that's absurd, and doesn't take place.

So manulers, please, stop this bashing (and its always hilarious how only manualers bash/whine/complain/cry/carp about automatics and never the other way around) - go outside, mis-shift some more, burn up the engine some more, burn up those clutches and mess up those fly wheels more so that you can go home from work and embrace your loved ones, telling them all how you just saved 2 minutes of driving by shooting 0-60 in 6.1 seconds a few times while going home. Or tell your kids how you smoked another car from a light - and let the kids laugh at you, telling how childish that act was.

Who here takes their rides to go Nurburgring, auto-crossing, to the track, or even get it dyno'd? Less than 0.1%. So it's no wonder why such a small percentage of people get manual on top of those who cannot afford to add on the automatic transmission (yup, there are those folks too).
Appreciate 0