View Single Post
      09-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #110
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

I don't want to keep on beating a dead horse, sorry - but just wanted to respond to CC's latest note.

I agree with your points, and I even actually considered the TL, Lexus, Audi, etc. Relative to the Audi, BMW's premium is actually only slightly higher (marginal at around $500 priced with my options). The TL and Lexus are both obviously much cheaper considering relative specs/options.

The Audi A4 was ruled out despite being technologically superior over the BMW. I strayed from the A4 when I realized how much better-looking the BMW was and how much better the BMW was in regards to performance. Driving the A4 felt like driving any typical car - didn't feel like a real $44,000 upgrade. I wouldn't mind having Quattro so I can go up the California mountains all season long, of course...but it wasn't worth it compared to what BMW has to offer for a very small premium.

I ruled out the TL because of its notorious torque-steering, despite knowing that only drivers who really push the TL will ever experience this malady. Furthermore, Acura had horrible transmission-recall problems in its past TL models, shaking up its customers' trust. BMW has the highest reputation (perhaps alongside Lexus) of durability when it comes to major problems. Audi has always been long-struck by engine problems especially its infamous oil-pan problems. I like the interior of the TL, its navigation system is top-notch and unmatched by any other.

Lexus is another competitor I've lately been contemplating but I abhor the external looks. Looks like any other Japanese car. I'm sure the comfort, luxury, and tech savvy gimmicks are all there but then again, this model isn't even out for me to inspect firsthand. It might sway my choices a bit, but maybe not.

As per handling, I also feel your statement belittles the "ultimate driving machine" subtlely - whether the difference is big or subtle, it's there. People feel it, too - and that's what I admire. Why do most people assume driving a BMW 5 series would be like driving a heavy tank until they get in, put it to a REAL driving test (i.e. Autoshow In Motion -- show coming up in San Diego next next weekend, folks) with turns going at outlandish speeds. Then they become amazed at the handling. These are ordinary folks driving an auto 5 series, as well. The difference is there.

Now, obviously, if I'm 80 years old and actually drive like an old geezer, I would concur that a BMW would be analogous to me getting a Ferrari. I'm an old geezer and driving like an old geezer - I should be getting a Lexus LS or Bentley Arnage. But most BMW consumers are the young type, the same ones who pass up slow cars on the freeways without much hesitation and the same ones who aren't too chary about going a little faster.

If you buy a BMW without ever complimenting its handling, then you're right, you wasted money compared to other alternatives. In truth, most people notice the handling, and it's real.
Appreciate 0