View Single Post
      04-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #240
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

I understand your list of Niggles with your new 1M, however let me try to point out a couple of things.

First off I agree with you about the seats in the 1M. I also have issue with the Leather choice they used. I was hoping BMW would have used the M3 seats, possibly re sized a bit to fit the car along with the Novillo Leather rather than the Boston Leather. The Novillo is very smooth and soft compared to the Boston Leather, it just has a much richer feel to it.

To put the price of the 1M into prospective I use something a good friend told me several years ago. In 1970 (He is a few years older than I am) he bought a new Z28 Camaro which cost him $3100. At that time it cost him about 1 years salary, and he uses this comparison today for the cars he likes. So over the years the price per earnings has remained fairly constant, unless you are looking for a Ferrari or better.

Another good way for me to look at the new 1M is to compare it to my 1972 BMW 2002tii, this car was very "Spartan" (Plain) in every way meaning it didn't come with a radio, had hand crank windows and Air Conditioning wasn't even available as an option. Yet this car was my favorite car of all time. It was also the equivalent to an M car for it's day over the standard 2002. These 2002 BMW's literally created the Sports Sedan auto segment.

If you look at what BMW was trying to create with the 1M and the fact that it is a limited edition car that they won't make much or no money on in the end I think they nailed it right on the head. Yes it is a very purposeful built car without much of the Fluff that BMW and all auto makers are adding to all cars these days, yet this helps to keep the weight down and the overall performance up. This is the reason I want this car and I am more than happy to not have all the fluff added. That said I will most likely order my 1M fully loaded because of the way they have packaged the options.

Of course these are just my feeling about the 1M and I could only hope it feels even close to my tii if so I'd be willing to hand crank the windows in the 1M as well.

Keep the great write up coming we are all wishing we were in your place right now. Best of luck to you.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0