View Single Post
      10-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #17
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
There is discussion of diverting the crankcase ventilation to atmosphere in the following link (see posts #81 & #139): Replacing N54 oil filter housing and cleaning intake valves. Some people point out this produces a fairly noxious odor.

Keep in mind crankcase vapors may be directed either into the rear turbo air intake (if engine is operating on boost) or directly into the intake manifold (engine decelerating with low intake manifold pressure). You can see a schematic and explanation on pages 12-13 from PDF describing N54 mechanical systems.

With respect to using a catch can, I imagine anything is better than stock, but I have come across positive mention of this oil separator (catch can): Mann-Hummel Provent.

Using low volatility engine oils is another approach to limit carbon deposits. The following is a pretty interesting discussion largely based on similar problems occurring with Audi/VW direct injection engines: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1325647&page=1.

Here's another thread from an Audi owner having to clean his valves every 7K miles!!

Lots of good info there. Thanks for the links.

I too have heard of the Mann-Hummel oil separator/occ but I have yet to see anyone actually install one on their N54.