08-05-2019, 11:52 PM   #172
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I've purchased new pads (Brembo) and sensors and may replace my brakes Saturday when I change the oil. But I checked the pads when my light came on and they are fine, I don't think they really need to be replaced. I also tried shorting out the sensors and I was still unable to reset the service due for the brakes. I will try again with two new sensors and new pads (not that the car knows the pads were replaced).

But what I would like to do is to code out all the service due warnings - or if that is not possible, code the intervals to be so long it is essentially coding them out. Does anybody know which software module contains these settings (I use NCSExpert for coding).
There are two types of brake pad warnings.

1-CBS (conditions based system )brake warnings
2- Brake wear linings (pad based )

CBS brake warnings are determined by the car based on your driving. They likely will prompt you to bring your car In long before the pads are actually worn.

Brake wear lining indicators are on the left front and right rear corners of the brake systems on the car. When a pad lining is worn initially in newer bmws the brake light in the dash will come on yellow. As the pad wear indicator totally gets worn through this changes the brake indicator to red.

Annoyingly , The BRAKE light in the dash will stay on after the parking brake is removed and stays on while you drive.

Additionally there are lift warnings appear in the dash as well. It appears that one can reset the wear linings by installing new sensors and new pads if done before a certain time frame after the warnings begin.

However , the conditions based warnings , if exceeded by a long time, become a RED LIFT symbol , which if ignored too long , CANNOT be reset except by a dealer. The CBS warnings count down with a mileage to go. And once you have passed the recommended stop mileage by, say, 1000 miles , no amount of pad , sensor reset procedure replacement including icarly will work.

I was able to re-set the CBS and the brake wear indicators with icarly , Carly confirmed that I was resetting the CBS as well as the brake lining indicators but I could NOT get the lift indicator to remove.

Once my dealer could confirm that I had replaced the pads and the sensors , they reset the car for me for free.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10588.50