View Single Post
      08-23-2007, 11:21 PM   #27
BossE86
Boss
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe [E86]

Garage List
Thank you very much Kamakazi. I do want a 4 seater, in case I do have to hall people or stuff around but I've learned people don't like to cram into the back of a 2dr from my Focus (helps ward off the free loader ) and I admit I like the sportiness of the coupe. 328i would definitely be a coupe.

I also looked into the 135i (and 128i) because they're more compact than the new 3 series. The 3 series is starting to feel a bit 'sedan-ish', may just be me since I'm used to the size of the Focus.

The Focus is a fine car, and it is paid off. It turned out to be surprisingly fun for a 136hp fwd automatic. But my goal was to get something sportier for myself after high school. I got the Focus for it's fuel economy since I'd be paying for my gas and I work a lot hours during school.

The insurance on the 3 series (haven't quoted 1 series) is actually lower than my Focus but only if it's paid off. If I take a loan that'll force my insurance to include collision which sky rockets the price. My dad agreed to pay half to also help me avoid taking a loan on my goal car so it doesn't become a money pit while I'm in college.

Back to the Focus, only mechanical issues I've had have been with the torque converter. One day I just completely lost throttle at an SCCA auto cross and I don't know much of the mechanics behind the torque converter but it was about $1,200 after I got my car back. Other issues have just been poor interior quality. I'm trying to get the Ford off my hands before it lives up to it's reputation of falling apart, I don't want to be shoveling money into it during school.

There are alternatives to the 1 / 3 series as far as reliable low-maintenance cars for college but if I'm putting down the money I don't want it to go to something I don't really want.

And to 1ster:
"A 135i is too much car for college, unless you're paying for it yourself."
I'm not quite sure I understand that.
But a WRX over the 135i? That car is NOT low profile, I'll have every Mustang GT, EVO, or ricer revving at me at every red light.

Thank you though Kamakazi for your input as well as not judging me via Forum.
Appreciate 0