04-19-2021, 11:27 PM   #18
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
Not sure about all the people who say not to worry about the coolant, when I did my OFHG I had a good bit of coolant come out even after I drained the radiator a bit. The upper radiator hose connects to the the oil filter housing and the gasket has a provision for sealing the coolant passage from the oil passages even on the N52 with no oil cooler.

It's very easy to drain the radiator enough to get the coolant level low enough to not cause any issues, about 0.5 gallon would do it. While you're at it, pull the mickey mouse coolant connector off and swap it for a metal version. Cheap insurance against the plastic failure, mine was extremely brittle when I swapped it at 85k miles.

Then when done, add back the 0.5 gal of coolant (or distilled water) and do the bleed procedure, it's extremely easy on these motors.
I agree 100% with you.

When I did mine, I may not have drained the coolant enough or at all prior to removing the housing.if I did I guess not enough because when I finally got the dreaded third bolt behind under the IM off some coolant definitely spewed out of the housing, and possibly mixed with the oil and it was November and fairly cold out, and I did not feel like doing an oil change at 11 at night so I saved it for that weekend.

If anyone is going to embark on this, make sure you have good swivel adapters and a couple different extensions. My swivel was ebay junk, it didn't fail or anything like that, but the cube connector between the joints was more rectangular and so it did not want to turn very nicely when it's close to its max angle let's say.

It might be worth having swivel joint and wobble extensions. It's also worth mentioning that when you use the swivels and wobble extensions, you should torque a little bit more than the torque spec as I believe these adapters subtract from the torque being applied.
Appreciate 0