View Single Post
      11-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #85
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeedler View Post
the spring coupler was in there(in the pics too), but is now removed as well as the helper springs- not needed due to the length of the spring. The info is all over the place and the various set-ups are different everywhere I look. The rear shocks seem kinda short to me, they do not alow much travel if the car is at stock height. IMO. I took the rubber piece off the adj. it just got in the way and seemed t would make the adj. that much harder later. on my E30, I took all of the rubber padding pieces out and have had no rattling, so I am sure it will be o.k.

not that I know so much about tuning turbo cars, but I am under the impression the "bottleneck" isn't really going to hurt the cars performance. to me it seems it would possibly slow the air in the intercooler a very minimal amount (better cooling)- and the charge pipes from the factory everywhere else are 2.5", plus the added size of the intercooler? just my thoughts.

question. are these sleeves on the struts, or are they just machined that much thicker-- it is what I'm missing. found this pic somewhere.

The info from us has always been dead on, 8" spring with helper and 9" spring without. I don't think anyone out there really knows AST and Swift combo more than we do, as we were the first to use the Swift springs with AST. Before that AST use Hyperco springs. My only guess is that the shop you purchased your kit from didn't know the correct spring length(s) to use. You shouldn't need any of the rubber pads at all with the correct length springs.

Better FMIC helps so does the ER CP you put on the car. The AFE intake is worth some power too at elevated boost levels.

The sleeves adapts the 135/335 style strut to the 1M and M3. You will need them.

The setup you have may have less travel than normal kits, as it is meant for Grand Am cars.
Appreciate 0