02-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #26
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowceta View Post
I haven't had any issues with any major components. Still stock tranny, clutch, turbos, etc. I actually have been following close to the recommended oil change interval by the car instead of the strict 6,000 or 10,000 mile standard some use. I just recently changed out coils and plugs due to a rough idle and being on a Stg 2 tune. If anything, that seems to be the one recurring theme, rough idle. However, changing the plugs works every time. The coils were changed because they had around 80,000 miles on them.
This really "proves" the silliness of some of the recommendations one reads on car forums, about such things as doing maintenance that is more extensive and more frequent than the manufacturers recommend.

I'm not saying that there might not be some value in doing more maintenance, but what I am saying is that there is no "proof" that doing so is of any benefit. There just aren't any controlled studies out there to prove or disprove what some often-quoted individuals suggest. Just because someone has strongly held opinions and writes well and forcefully, doesn't make what they write to be provable fact. How any one car stands up to extended use over periods of time probably has more to do with how the car is driven, how it is stored, where it is stored, and luck, than anything else.

Congrats on your car!