01-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #200
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Morgan View Post
Dakelone, on my local dealer they are recommending Mobil 1 0W-40 as engine oil. This oil meets the LongLife requirements stablished by BMW.
I live in Chile and our temperatures should be similar to the ones in California.
Is there any specific oil with its corresponding part number that I should ask them to order for the BMW 1M? Our cars are Euro versions.

Thanks in advance!

Mobil-1's 0w40 LL-1 oil is fine. Any oil that is Long Life-1 (LL-1) is ok for the USA(North American) market.

In Europe BMW says to use LL-4 oils because of the low(to no) sulfur in the fuels here. In the USA the fuels have high sulfur, so you need to use LL-1 oils there. So I guess the question is what kind of fuel do you have in Chile ? Either way... I think as long as you change the oil more frequently than bmw says too... you will be fine.

The reason why I like to use Castrol RS Edge 0w040 LL-4 oil is because it really makes the engine run cooler(two needle widths lower on the gauge) and more importantly the engine is sooo much quieter with Castrol. I noticed my engine made far less metalic noise on cold starts and even when warm... then when I was was using Mobil-1 0w40 LL1 oil in my car. IF you can find the Castrol oil or even the BMW dealer oil... I would run that instead.

This is where I buy my oil from over here in Germany. They are by far the cheapest place I have found. They even sell the BMW dealer oils too!

http://www.oelwelt24.de/catalog/Moto...5f2ac3ce17e8ee

Dackel
Appreciate 0