View Single Post
      04-27-2018, 12:18 PM   #28
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

It's been a while and it's really great to see all the regulars still around and posting . I've been busy with work, life and other things and the 1M just ticked over 48k. I cannot believe how time is flying.

I've occasionally speculated what it would be like to replace the 1M. In an ideal world, I would keep the 1M forever and have enough money and garage space to add other cars to the stable. Unfortunately, even if I could afford to keep buying more toys, my wife will not allow me to expand the garage and she is right

I keep running into one issue. There really isn't anything south of a 911 GT3 (or 911 R) that I think offers the unique combination of rarity, fun, mechanical engagement and subtle in-your-faceness (oxymoron, I know) of the 1M.

Porsche Carerra (insert trim here) - Poor value for money. Nothing standard.
Porsche Cayman - 4-cylinder now. Sounds like small lawnmower.
Audi RS-whatver -
Mercedes AMG-whatever - Too bling. Too AMG
Lexus RC-whatever
Mustang GT 350R - Too Mustang.

The M2 competition is a curveball of sorts. I never expected to look at another "small" BMW because I already own the perfect one. I've driven the M2 on track and it's a fine car but I don't really feel a big performance difference. The M2C will obviously turn it up to 11 and I hope it kicks Audi and Mercedes ass all over the place. I do think moving from a 1M to an M2C will actually be less satisfying if you spend most of your time on regular roads. You will likely get something marginally faster and more comfortable in exchange for something more mechanical and fun, not to mention rare.

So far, the only cars I would consider trading the 1M for are:

911R - Maybe when I win several lotteries.
997 GTS - This one is tempting. Prices are getting really good but I don't love the old interior and the steering wheels.
991 GTS - Still NA and updated interior. Might be sweet spot.
991.2 GTS - Turbo. Overpriced right now.
991.2 GT3 Touring - Intriguing but not in my price range yet. May never be because they don't depreciate much. Won't be as good a DD as 1M.
991 GT3 - Starting to see some creeping down in price but won't be a great DD.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00