View Single Post
      08-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #40
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

The general bubble of Porsche is creeping into the 997 and 996 cars even. The 996 is the ugly duckling and a good value (if you can get past the headlights: its tough for some, and the buttons inside).

Aircooled prices are stupid, but people have money to spend on the myth more then the driving experience as they are not 50-100% the experience of driving a 996/997.

996 cars have an IMS that you can retrofit, but many are higher mileage at this point and well, if it was gonna go it would have.

997.1 have a different design, not perfect but also not something you can get at unless you crack the block open.

997.2, its gone, but the problem here is that was at the start of the recession so the number of cars around are very low, helping to drive prices up. My personal favorite is the 997.2, it has a slightly cleaner interior but still a simple car. The 991.1 is a nicer interior for modern factor but for me its a big leap forward away from a classic 911 look.

The NA cars prices are being driven up slightly by enthusiasts knowing there is no longer a simple NA 911 to buy (GT3 is not simple nor affordable for most). Yes the 991.2 turbo cars are a better car to drive in many ways, but I don't personally want one.

We have a 2.7 NA cayman now and hammer on it with glee. A 320-350 HP NA 911 would be a hoot. 400HP+ doesn't entice me for a street, but some folks want the bragging rights. A sparsely optioned C2 is quite a relative bargain of a sports car to drive if you can find one. Most C2S's are heavily optioned also driving prices higher.

The bargains are going to be with the 987.1/2 cars (and 981) as they are viewed as lesser cars (which is ignorant but I am fine with that, keep the prices lower). Caymans are a hoot to drive. Yes different then a 911, but for 1/2 the price at times...well worth it.

- b
Appreciate 0