01-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #175
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVANT123 View Post
+1

I have decided that I'm going to skip the "free" maintenance that BMW provides as part of the purchase of the car and do all the maintenance myself. I'm starting to learn the good old saying "If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself"...
I do all my own maintenance on all my other cars and hate having to deal with dealerships to do things I can easily and actually prefer to do on my own. I even do my own diagnostic work before taking the car in for a particular problem.

However, there are 2 potential issues with the idea of skipping the free maintenance:

1. Obviously if you want a part/service to be free (covered under warranty), the dealer has to be the one changing the part or doing the service. Usually not a big deal on oil changes and the like, but it is on big $ items like brakes and other expensive components.

2. BMW can potentially deny warranty work because you decided to opt out of the free services they were providing. However, hopefully, keeping a record of purchasing BMW oil/filters/etc. is sufficient to prove that you kept up with the maintenance despite not taking the car in.