View Single Post
      04-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #32
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
According to a brochure I have, the Alpine amp puts out 80W x 4 channels. I haven't found any numbers for total wattage. The model number printed on the amp is "PDA-F200," but Google doesn't turn up any specs for it.

As far as upgrading the subs, some people have used the Earthquake SWS-8 subs because they're apparently easy to fit, but I think they will be underpowered. I know of one person (Imperator on E90Post) who fit the Top HiFi/Logic7 subs and was pleased with the results, but they're over $300 each. The normal HiFi subs are about half that cost and would be an upgrade over what we have in our cars. Imperator had this to say about subwoofer choice:

It won't matter if you're using 2-ohm or 4-ohm SWS-8 drivers-- the Alpine's Class-D circuitry will output the same power (roughly) at either impedance. I'd recommend the use of OEM HiFi or Logic7 subs over the SWS-8s. The Alpine amp doesn't address the current needs (read: preferences) of the Earthquakes and the OEM drivers are much better for midbass response.

I'm only quoting someone else because I'm pretty much an audio noob and can't really get into the hows and whys of all of this.
Appreciate 0