View Single Post
      05-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #278
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

I've found the stiffer rear sway bar was probably a bit too stiff for the current setup of the car, unfortunately not any options for aftermarket rear sways between the 15-20mm range.

On sharp corners the car doesnt have enough roll stiffness to handle fast transitions and the rear inside wheel tends to unload. Additionally in low-mid speed large radius corners the rear wheel inside wheel also unloads, resulting in the car wanting to rotate. Quite fun but really not putting the power down effectively.

I decided to increase the front spring rate to compensate, while additonally going to a shorter spring, to clear the tyre incase I want to run wider front rubber. I decided to go with 180mm length (20mm shorter) and 60N/mm (prevously 50N/mm). Purchased from demontweeks which was quite reasonable and did not take too long to arrive.

The install was pretty painless with the GAS monoballs installed, no need to loosen any control arm bolts, just dropped the strut and disconnected the hoses/cables from the clips to allow the strut to be lowered.

I am now at the limit for how high I can adjust the spring perch, the shock has run out of thread adjustment. The perch still doesn't clear the tyre completely but the clearance should be adequate for running 235 AD08R tyres. I am running zero preload on the spring, the perch is adjusted just enough so the spring has no rattle.

The increase in front spring rate has only decreased the ride comfort slightly. Rear end grip has improved and does not lift the rear end when powering out of large radius corners. Low speed corners grip has improved, although the overzealous DSC does still intervene when theres a lot of weight transfer. Overall another step in the right direction, and I am happy with the upgrade.

I need to see how this new setup fares with rough roads, as I am still unsure as to whether there is enough spring travel available (so the spring doesnt bottom out before the bump stop engages)
Attached Images