View Single Post
      03-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #41
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tyler View Post
3) In that mode, the only electronic aids will be ABS and TC (aka the E-LSD or "E-Diff"; it's basically just traction control). In that mode, if you break traction under power coming off a corner, the TC will kick in and brake the inside rear tire. It will cause the car to "hop" a bit, because the TC acts in an 'on/off/on/off' manner. I've only driven a 335i in this mode once on the street for a few minutes, so I can't comment on how it will behave on the track! Maybe someone else can chime in and help me out here?
I'm not going to double check on the street right now so someone else may want to give a final answer but I believe the mode you're describing as middle "DTC" is actually the "full off" mode.

I may be wrong but I believe ABS is ALWAYS on regardless of which mode you're in; I've run autocross laps in both modes (DTC and full "off") and I believe I felt the ABS pulse in both modes. I seriously doubt BMW is going to let anyone turn off ABS in this day and age.

I can't speak to the e-diff but in the middle "DTC" mode I believe the car has still intervened a few times when I was getting sloppy (getting? Well, I'm always sloppy but this was a special case) and I believe it was more than just a touch of rear brakes. But it was at a point well after I should have stopped driving and I may be remembering it wrong

There's an open autocross practice in a few months where I can probably fit in 20+ practice runs; I'll try to remember to make a point of learning exactly when each mode will cut in.

Disclaimer: I could be completely wrong... this wouldnt be the first time
Appreciate 0