View Single Post
      05-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
Cobb already commented on it and it came down to the number of hours they had to put into cracking the BMW ECU divided by the number of potential customers. Non-computer-people tend to think because it's "just coding" (are you a CEO by chance?) it's simple. Just hook it up to your computers USB port, push some keys and, it's done, right? Reverse engineering is a long, tedious, and mind numbing process even if there is no ECU encryption. A Subaru or a Mitsubishi is not a BMW. There are far more Subie's and Evo's on the road in the US than 335/135s. Subie's and EVOs typically change very little between model years, and I would guess that more Subie and EVO owners are willing to risk voiding their warranty on their $25-35k car than BMW owners are on their $40-60k car.

I would like to know where you live because I know for a fact that I see far more 335i's on the road than Evo's or STi's. You might have a case regarding 135i's, but there is no question that everybody and their grandmom has a 335i.

Regarding warranties, I've already read several members that have Evo X's having their warranties revoked thanks to the Cobb Accessport despite being unmarried and not in the car. If you want a link, just tell me and see that the Cobb Accessport is detectable on other platforms (not sure on BMW's). Mitsubishi is more anal regarding warranties though compared to BMW. I know that when I had my Evo9, as soon as I drove off the lot and sneezed in it, I voided my warranty.
Appreciate 0