vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkie86 View Post
Love this thread!

Any thoughts on this vs an E92 M3 front sway-bar?
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_...r=BBF43&sq=714
Thanks!

Will be a little bit stiffer than the M3 E92 bar. Can put the diameters into a calculator to see the % difference in stiffness. The formula is dominated by the diameter so even a 0.5mm of diameter will be a significant change in stiffness.

Since the E92 bar already prevents the front wheels from losing camber, I don't feel the need for going any stiffer. I believe the front end will just lose more grip with anything stiffer, and could already feel there was a small loss of grip up front until the limit is reached. Unless you replace both sways and have a matching suspension setup, the E92 M3 front bar is the way to go on a 1 series.

Few more things to consider:
- M3 bar is hollow to reduce weight, and the torsional stiffness of a swaybar is dominated by the diameter, making it hollow doesn't reduce the stiffness much at all.
- 2nd hand M3 bars usually come with the brackets and bushings, the brackets are nicer cast aluminium and have stiffer rubber bushings
- Price, M3 bar can be had for cheaper if you watch ebay like a hawk for bargains. I got mine for around $227aud including shipping from ebay (although I spend almost a year looking for one). Came from Germany