04-14-2015, 07:24 AM   #28
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
Is this for the fronts or rears? Typically I held onto my old ones for ages, then threw then out recently. Argh!

I just can't think which bits you were removing from the old ones though. The backing on the fronts was part of the pad from what I remember. Or do you mean the shims on the rears?
I used this for both front and rear. The thin shim is glued, and surrounds the pad "frame". You can use the shims off of any old street pads desgined for the 135i caliper of course. With a bit of tinkering, the shims usually come undone without too much effort. In my case, the glue burned off with some heat and abuse from track use, when I first started tracking my 135i. The shim/shields easily came off. These shims happen to fit nicely over most track pads, which are designed to be smaller, to allows for expansion when exposed to extreme heat.

In addition to above, I use Hardbrakes.com 0.5mm Ti heat shields between the track pad, and the OE shim. My justification is to avoid the rattling , and isolate the weak 135i caliper pistons, hubs, and fluid from extreme heat. It works fine for me.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0