View Single Post
      08-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds350 View Post
You guys are spot on about this being a camber challenged car, but that brings up a good question. In street class, the only camber adjustments allowed is anything that is ref'd in the repair manual. Is there any allowable adjustment that would add camber? Camber plates not allowed in D Street, but a front sway is allowed.
I think you can run up to +/- 7mm offset wheels up front, right? I would put as wide a spacer up front as you're allowed (which is the 7mm if using stock wheels). Or... I would look for new wheels:

I see some 128i came with 18" wheels (style 182) in 7.5 ET49 /8.5 ET52 widths.

So, that means you could find lightweight 17" or 18" wheels in 7.5/8.5" widths (-1" wheel change from the style 182 would be allowed). I would then use spacers as needed to achieve offsets F:R of ET42 (-7mm is allowed) and ET55 (+3mm), respectively. That would get you a pretty square F:R track width and make the car less under-steer oriented. You could even run as much as ET59 out back to make the car a bit more playful if you could find wheels with that high of an offset... Forgestars with custom offsets? Not sure too much else is really available in these offsets and sizes...

Stlye 68 (17x7.5 ET41 / 17x8.5 ET50) is very close to these specs but I dont think they would be allowed if someone actually called you out... They poke 1mm too much up front.

Also, I would look into the rules surrounding bump stops. You can re-tune the whole suspension with bump stop changes. You just can't make changes that would increase the compression stroke amount until bump stop engagement, from what I see. Seems to be a highly debated topic but plenty of other chassis that rid eon the bump stops, like the 128i, run struts with lots of rebound and then use the "spring helpers" to tune roll stiffness to make the car handle how they want.

Last edited by bbnks2; 09-14-2018 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0