Thread: Seat covers
View Single Post
      03-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
fuhgetaboutit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

The cracks in the left side of the driver's seat developed towards the end of my third year of ownership. One of the guy's in the service department tried to say that the rivets in demin jeans causes that type of wear. Except I don't wear any jeans that have rivets (I think they stopped using rivets in jeans in about 1985).

The most annoying part of it was how completely clueless they were about repairing leatherette. My service guy acted like he didn't even know if leatherette could be repaired.

The irony is that besides those cracks in the driver's seat, the leatherette has held up incredibly well over nearly 6 years. My 50 lb. huskie rides in the back a lot, and occassionally I don't put a blanket in the back seat, and there isn't so much as a scratch on that back seat (and the dog's nails are almost never trimmed).

So I think in many ways the leatherette is very durable, but there was a certain type of wear on that left side of the driver's seat - the constant getting in and out of the car - that didn't hold up that well. It is just on the left bolster, and they are sports seats, so the bolster is higher and gets more wear than a normal seat would. That's actually the big reason I didn't bother with the sports seats in my 135.
Appreciate 0