03-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #30
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Come on. Of course major things can go wrong, question is how likely is it on these engines?

The main reason turbos are being replaced on the n54s is due to leaky waste gates. And turbos that fail in those circumstances are covered by extended warranty issued by BMW.

Op is looking at n55. Have not read much here, if anything about people having to replace failed turbo on n55.

Same with spun bearings. Do not recall reading even a single case where this has happened. Not to say it hasn't, but it is not something one needs to be overly worried about on these engines.

The fact is, these are very stout platforms, aside from a few known issues such as shitty water pumps and the failing hpfp (which has been resolved).

Chances of having to drop 2k on a single repair is very unlikely.

There is nothing special about the tire requirements on this car vs. any other sporty car. not sure why you are even bringing it up.
::ghetto voice:: You right you right.. lol

I guess my insensitive side is coming out.. I am being prejudiced, biased and all those bad things. I'm preemptivelay striking against the future thread about how he can't afford the repairs on his BMW. I hate those. German sports cars are not cheap!!!

I guess I always like to be prepared for the worst case scenario. When I was his age I was busy defending the nation, not driving bimmers. I had like 35 dollars in my checking account at any given moment.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0