03-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #39
inFamousKicks
Member.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM135iAM View Post
OP, crazy you posted this. I was in the EXACT situation last year. 24, good job, decent money, good credit, and " looking to capitalize on something fun and slightly irresponsible before real life happens." I went with a 2011 135i DCT. I still from time to time look at the Caymans though. I'm fearful that if the Cayman had as many issues as I've had with my 135, I would be bankrupt. In hindsight, you're right about the Cayman being more reliable and even though maintenance costs are more for it, I probably wouldn't spend as much time in the shop with it like my I do with my BMW. Then again, it's always a hit or miss with German sports cars having issues or not. I had an 2001.5 Audi S4 and I never once had an issue with it in three years. Which makes me think that Porsche would be just as reliable considering VW owns Audi and Porsche, but who knows.

If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have bought the 135 or the Cayman. I would have bought a lightly used something practical, reliable, cheap, and still fun to drive...like a manual civic si or something. In the year and four months I've owned the car I've realized that being in debt almost $20K on a car right now isn't all that cool. I could have had a nice civic paid off by now and been substantially saving for a nice house and substantially paying off my school loans...and maybe even have a motorcycle to have a little fun on. Just food for thought.
Cool story, but as far as assuming that you wouldn't be in the shop as much with a Cayman is like you stated, a hit or miss. For any car, really. Everyone's car experiences are unique and anyone could tell you why the car brand they live by is the best and that they're oh so reliable, but on the other hand, there are equally as many people who would say otherwise.

And if you're really bothered by the high maintenance costs/you're still steadily losing money on the car and all the things you could have instead, then oh, I don't know... Sell it...? Your statements seem a bit contradictory...

Appreciate 0