10-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrybreadbutterhustle View Post
Excellent clarification. Thank you. That's what's so confusing about this is WHY those finned ballasts/bulbs were put in by the PO if there were already Xenons in there (I've seen people do that, of course, to go from Halogen to Xenons).

The covers were on and on tight but who knows if that's always been the case.
Those finned ballast are for xenon AE(Angel Eyes), not the headlights but for the AE rings. It was a common way to mod the yellow-ish AE to bright white. Most people just replace the AE bulbs with M-tech bulbs though. Or code the AE's to run a slightly higher voltage and look less yellow in color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrybreadbutterhustle View Post
Regarding the footwell module. From what I've been reading here on the forum... wouldn't there be a high chance that other things would be acting screwy — like the other headlight, windows, light package stuff?
No, not always. I am no headlight expert, but... I do remember a member on here saying how he changed his AE bulbs, didn't get one of the covers back on(passenger side bc thats the harder one to put back on correctly) and his headlight went out like yours.

He then pulled his bumper off and pulled out the headlights... he thought it must have been the control unit under the headlight that was bad. In doing so he burnt up the "good" ecu from the driver's headlamp. It was his footwell module that was bad. In the end he needed one passenger headlight, two headlight ecu's and one footwell module and one headlight light bulb for the passenger headlight(bc he also broke that). It was a mess.

I only remember the guy was in the military stationed near K-town and was driving around for weeks with only one headlight and then no headlights... bc he never had time to fix them.

update: Here is that thread I remembered... e46m3to335i

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494279

I remember talking to the OP of this above thread in PM's... I think there was more to the "fix" than he posted. I don't remember all the details though.

and...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494279
Appreciate 0