View Single Post
      10-26-2015, 11:16 AM   #20
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:
I bet it's a bad ballast, but you need to pull the light completely out of the car to replace that. Or maybe the original ballast is missing or just disconnected? Like Dackelone saide, the PO likely swapped to an LED AE set up, which has it's own ballasts installed inside the headlamp housing (rather than underneath the headlamp like the much larger OEM ballast). I think that's what that pink/purple thing is - wonder where the PO got that from? I'm not super-familiar with the aftermarket headlamp "upgrades," but I've never seen any that looked like that.
The ballast under the headlights is for the HID main beam (low+high). The aftermarket resistors is for the LED bulbs installed in the DRL rings (Angel Eyes). LED bulbs dont draw as much voltage as the incandescent rings in the headlights, so the resistors are there to fool the car into thinking the incandescent bulbs are on by drawing OEM level voltage. Without the resistors you would have a bulb out message if you replaced the incandescent bulbs in the angel eyes for LEDs.

Last edited by smrtypants44; 10-26-2015 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 2